E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Looking to Buy some wheels: need your thoughts XIers! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=993516)

TR4G- 06-22-2013 06:52 PM

Looking to Buy some wheels: need your thoughts XIers!
 
Ok. so this thread will probably have a bunch of questions from me over the next week or so.

Here is my first: is this a genuine BBS wheel? I think it would be pretty nice to have 15 inch 2-piece BBS wheels on my e46, but Im not sure what exactly these are. Are these BBS RS wheels?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...pseb127665.jpg

the more I look at these, the more I want them.

Specs: 15x7 with an offset of 11. Now that spacing should work. It increases clearance on the inside of the wheel and extends the ouside. Will these clear the tierods?

e46alfonso 06-22-2013 09:02 PM

they're not for our cars, keep looking.
I like offset et35-40.

TR4G- 06-22-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46alfonso (Post 15521506)
they're not for our cars, keep looking.
I like offset et35-40.

yeah, after checking out how offset and wheel dynamics work, its not reasonable to do. Wouldn't fit properly without modification and thats out of the question. Welp.... Ill keep looking around for wheels. Definately want a mesh look though

TR4G- 06-23-2013 02:34 PM

Looking to Buy some wheels: need your thoughts XIers!
 
2 Attachment(s)
How do you guys feel about this wheel? It's a 17inch ASA Revolution of some kind. Not sure how I feel about the black inside pieces. Would this look to unnatural? The tires are crap budget tires ill probably replace. Attachment 512622Attachment 512623


Also, just because I'm asking your opinions doesn't mean I will follow them. Just in case you think that I'm needy or looking to please other people. In the end it's what I think that matters. :thumbup:

xDLXSFx 07-01-2013 08:06 PM

I was just going to say; we all perceive our BMWs differently; what one person thinks is sick, the other could hate it.

My opinion; 15's wayy too small even though the basket weave is cool. Those 17" machine faced wheels would give it a nice touch; also depends on what you want out of the wheels. Going for just looks? Then the possibilities are endless! You can always plastidip too if you dont like the color - cheap DIY. Im aiming for some nice looking light weight wheels. I think the style 73's are the best stock option for any 3 series, and the 135's!

Big Rick 07-01-2013 08:38 PM

Just buy CSL reps for $600... 18X8...

TR4G- 07-01-2013 08:57 PM

Looking to Buy some wheels: need your thoughts XIers!
 
4 Attachment(s)
Ok. So I ended up buying one piece style 5s (fundo, not bbs, boo :( ). They came with 225/55s on two and 235/55s on the other two. The difference in size seemed negligible so I picked them up for $300. The tread has about 60-70% left. Had to hike my KWs up the highest setting in the back for them to work. Fronts were fine as they were.

I tried on some BBS 1 piece style 5s with 235/60s all around and they were WAY too big. That set had all 5 wheels and center caps for 300. Shame they weren't 225s.

I'm still a bit nervous though, bc initially I thought I had the rears set well, but they settled like Mfers and started rubbing... but, I had a 2.5 ton floor jack, old school steel jack stands, and my 4 stock rims in the trunk...so that may have played in. But still, that would mean with 4 people it would rub, and I don't want that. So I jacked it up even higher and it seemed to do that trick. Here is a shot at how the rear wheel settled the second time (center caps are not on, but I have em)

Right after redoing spring perch setting:
Attachment 514083

After a somewhat spirited drive around the block:
Attachment 514084

....settled a fair amount. Haven't tried with all that weight in the trunk, but it seems like that gap should give me enough room for a full load of people.

Here is a shot from before I redid the rears:

Attachment 514085

I really like how far out the wheels stick. Offset is 23

Attachment 514086

I'm hoping the springs don't settle anymore. I feel like this was a pretty good buy considering the life of the tread and the total cost


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

jjp735i 07-02-2013 07:48 AM

The tires just look to big. Nice wheels though

chilone 07-02-2013 03:21 PM

What ever floats your boat. Not for me though.

DavidDee 07-03-2013 10:43 AM

LOVE IT! I think the tires are the perfect size for the wheels.

tomoyer 07-03-2013 09:14 PM

Question, what size were the wheels you picked up? the E46 325xi's came with 16 inch wheels and tires, not 15 inch and 15 inch would not clear the brake calipers. On the tire sizes that were mounted on the wheels, there is a difference and the difference that you have between those 2 sizes will have a different overall diameter difference which is not good for a 4 wheel drive system (it is possible to get the right combination for an off-set/staggered tire set from front to rear and have the same overall diameter), the best tire wheel set up for an XI is a "square" set up, meaning that all 4 tires are of the exact same size. No big deal going Plus 1 in wheel and tire size, that's going from 16 inch to 17 inch, wheel and tire weight combined will be just about the same, and the stock rotors will fill most the the wheel center and the wheel will look nice on the car. Going to Plus 2, which in this case would be 18 inch, now your side walls will be even smaller, the ride a bit rougher and the chance to flat spot, bend or break a wheel will increase, plus the stock rotors will not fill the wheel center and it will look odd. Wheel offset also has to be considered so that tires do not rub the fenders, you can always tell some one that really lowered a car and didn't spend the money to have the fenders rolled, as their fenders are all bent up and pushed out of shape from the tires hitting the fenders over bumps. Money is always a factor, but Beyern makes some very nice wheels for the BMWs that are hub concentric and they are of the proper outset.

zoompastu 07-08-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomoyer (Post 15546345)
Question, what size were the wheels you picked up? the E46 325xi's came with 16 inch wheels and tires, not 15 inch and 15 inch would not clear the brake calipers. On the tire sizes that were mounted on the wheels, there is a difference and the difference that you have between those 2 sizes will have a different overall diameter difference which is not good for a 4 wheel drive system (it is possible to get the right combination for an off-set/staggered tire set from front to rear and have the same overall diameter), the best tire wheel set up for an XI is a "square" set up, meaning that all 4 tires are of the exact same size. No big deal going Plus 1 in wheel and tire size, that's going from 16 inch to 17 inch, wheel and tire weight combined will be just about the same, and the stock rotors will fill most the the wheel center and the wheel will look nice on the car. Going to Plus 2, which in this case would be 18 inch, now your side walls will be even smaller, the ride a bit rougher and the chance to flat spot, bend or break a wheel will increase, plus the stock rotors will not fill the wheel center and it will look odd. Wheel offset also has to be considered so that tires do not rub the fenders, you can always tell some one that really lowered a car and didn't spend the money to have the fenders rolled, as their fenders are all bent up and pushed out of shape from the tires hitting the fenders over bumps. Money is always a factor, but Beyern makes some very nice wheels for the BMWs that are hub concentric and they are of the proper outset.

He bought Style 5's from a E34. http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/5
Keep in mind, sport package xi's (like my car) came with 17x7's stock. The E46 M3 comes with 18's stock

mo_b 07-08-2013 12:38 AM

Looking to Buy some wheels: need your thoughts XIers!
 
Not the biggest fan of the bbs on that e46. What about the old m5 alloys??


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

zoompastu 07-08-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_b (Post 15553390)
Not the biggest fan of the bbs on that e46. What about the old m5 alloys??


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Which M5? E28 E34 E39?

mo_b 07-08-2013 12:51 AM

Looking to Buy some wheels: need your thoughts XIers!
 
E39. Was going to try it on my coupe but I've had to go to standard 17" because of the cost of tyres. 500 mile weekly commute and apprentice wages unfortunately.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

zoompastu 07-08-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_b (Post 15553405)
E39. Was going to try it on my coupe but I've had to go to standard 17" because of the cost of tyres. 500 mile weekly commute and apprentice wages unfortunately.

The E39 M5 wheels are beautiful! Still one of my favorite cars. I so wish I had your diesel! BMW is finally bringing a 4cylinder xdrive diesel to the USA in 2014...

2002GreenBMW 07-08-2013 09:18 PM

Looking to Buy some wheels: need your thoughts XIers!
 
I just bought the alzor m3 replicas 18x8 square setup for my 325xi and they are sick, they fill up the well so much better and I have gotten so many compliments on them, for 400$ on ecs I don't see a better option..


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

CK325 07-09-2013 10:26 PM

well about a month or so ago i picked up my csl reps, 17x8 all around.
yesterday i picked up m-parallels but a staggered set up so I'll have to see if I can make the tires work and if I can even fit the 18x9.5 in the rear lol

zoompastu 07-10-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK325 (Post 15558969)
well about a month or so ago i picked up my csl reps, 17x8 all around.
yesterday i picked up m-parallels but a staggered set up so I'll have to see if I can make the tires work and if I can even fit the 18x9.5 in the rear lol

Here, use this tool to figure it out... I've used this for nearly a decade now.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html :thumbsup:

CK325 07-10-2013 12:48 PM

yup I think I got it from another thread you posted it in :thumbup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use