E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General BMW Model Discussion (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Witch is the most reliable bmw ever? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=995079)

Astra2000 07-03-2013 04:28 AM

Witch is the most reliable bmw ever?

Hello e-people

I wonder what is the most reliable BMW ever?

I mean ... If someone wants to buy a BMW and do not want to spend much money on repairs over the years, which is the cheapest model to keep.

I have one E30 316i for 4 years and only money need to this car was for one batery, oil, gas, water and small things...

Now I have a E46 330i and the repair's are terrible .. in one year i spend more then 4000USD on repairs....:yikes:
not the cheapest car to keep

I'm thinking to trade the car soon, and i want to know what is the most reliable BMW to keep.

CSL323 07-03-2013 07:30 PM

This is a question I've gotten a million times over, and it's so hard to answer. I think of it as a bell curve really. The earlier models, such as the E30, has nothing that can really go wrong lol. It's simple and the upmost care was taken into it. The brand new straight off the line BMW is cheaper to run due to it's increases in efficiency and advances in technology, however since they're brand new they might still have some bugs (such as the wiper bug on one of the F30s).

The E46 to be honest doesn't cost much imo. I guess every car is different but I've had this thing for the last 12 months and she goes like a dream. Have only needed to replace front discs and pads, oil and coolant. However my water pump for the washers just died, so that sucks but hey!

I think the most expensive things for the e46 is the normal 'car care' things. Such as the tires being changed or servicing.

Good luck.

Marshmallow 07-03-2013 08:27 PM

I know one thing for sure, don't buy an X3. X5 isn't much better.

CharlzO 07-03-2013 09:52 PM

Just to add this much too: If you're purchasing a used car, like an e46, it is going to come down to a couple things, but mostly, how the previous owner took care of maintaining the car. If you get a car that wasn't kept up, then you're going to spend more than average, catching up on what wasn't done. Second to that, is going to be parts wearing over time. Some parts are only going to last so long before needing to be replaced, and sometimes aren't on the normal schedule for maintenance (like window seals, etc). Those are the incidental things that many cars will suffer over time, and ours is no different.

It's kind of hard to say which model is most reliable. Taken care of properly, they'll all hold true. But there are some models more prone to certain things (subframe, etc) than others, but again, the main thing is how well it was looked after by the person before you.

raypitter 09-10-2013 06:52 AM

BMD are actually not a bad choice. But when they dio have problems they will cost you.

GlockMan 09-10-2013 07:52 AM

An Accord with an M3 badge.

Russian172 10-06-2013 08:58 AM

Obd1 e36

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Hamsocne 10-06-2013 10:14 AM

Wait for Mango to sell his car. It will be as new.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/...psb5368852.jpg

Seriously, I would buy his car in a heartbeat when/if he sells it.

Hamsocne 10-06-2013 10:28 AM

OP,

I think you are over the hump. I have a low mileage 2002. It was taken care of by the previous owner at the dealership. Between 62,000 miles, and 72,000 miles I have done filters, belts & pulleys, cooling system, brake fluid, replaced the disa, fcabs, plus regular stuff (oil, tires, battery (lol lasted 7 years)). Next is head gasket and beisan stuff and then suspension. If you spent four thousand dollars you should have an almost perfect car.

I am wondering why you want a different car. You seem to have liked it enough to treat it right. Since I don't mod I hope for a two year grace period soon.

sea6speed 10-06-2013 10:35 AM

Now that the f30 is entering its third year of production I'd bet it would be the most reliable for several years. Either that or a new 128i if you can find one.

Hamsocne 10-06-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea6speed (Post 15752189)
Now that the f30 is entering its third year of production I'd bet it would be the most reliable for several years. Either that or a new 128i if you can find one.

That is a very good answer imho. I got off track.

I still think e46 is reliable.

wlmmn 10-14-2013 04:22 PM

Well, if we're really going to answer the OP's question, then no; a witch is not the most reliable BMW ever. A witch isn't even a car...they usually fly brooms, and brooms are pretty reliable. I usually proofread the title of a thread I'm making.

Generally speaking, older cars aren't as reliable as newer ones, because even if an older car is kept up very well, chances are things that only need replaced once every 10 or 15 years will soon need replaced and will just spring up one day as an issue, whereas a newer car will not even be 10 years old and thus won't need those rare-to-do items worked on.

SonicBoom 10-19-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshmallow (Post 15546265)
I know one thing for sure, don't buy an X3. X5 isn't much better.

X3s are quite reliable. The technology is mature before a X3 gets it.

X5s are trouble, but awesome.

Marshmallow 10-19-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBoom (Post 15781911)
X3s are quite reliable. The technology is mature before a X3 gets it.

X5s are trouble, but awesome.

X3's have some of the lowest scores compared to other BMW's. Probably because they were not built by BMW in the first generation, and are now built by Americans.

zander271 10-19-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildirish317 (Post 15781941)
E30. You can't go wrong with one. Piss poor gas mileage, but no computers. Simple reliable.

How bad is bad?

zander271 10-20-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildirish317 (Post 15782037)
Low 20s. Everything is relative.

Edit: Also wrong about the computers, they have an EMS.

I'm guessing that's highway and city?