E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Key Fob not locking/unlocking - actuator or GM5? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=998324)

elbee 07-24-2013 05:52 PM

Key Fob not locking/unlocking - actuator or GM5?

So, I had this issue once with my dad's e39. The key fob would not lock/unlock the doors. It was a fairly easy repair. I did it awhile ago so I don't remember the specifics, but the repair was done in the trunk.

The same issue is coming up on our e46 and based on the searching I've done, it's not as straightforward. It looks like it can be a problem with the actuator or the GM5 module. Both look like fairly involved DIY's. Is there a test I can do to determine which part might be the issue? I'm hoping to avoid an unnecessary DIY.

Thanks!

Snik 07-24-2013 06:01 PM

www.bmwgm5.com

elbee 07-24-2013 06:16 PM

Thank you!

jfoj 07-24-2013 06:16 PM

Scott may chime in soon?

I think a few questions would be:

1. Is the problem only with a single door?
2. Do the interior lights come on, but the door not unlock?
3. Do you have the problem also unlocking the car using the central locking button?
4. How intermittent is the problem and does it appear to be heat related?

SC4R27 07-24-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 15596015)
Scott may chime in soon?

3. Do you have the problem also unlocking the car using the central locking button?

my key just stopped working on all doors and trunk. the interior lights also do not turn on. Sometimes if i shake the key (i do not hear anything inside) and then press unlock it will work. I think its broken from being dropped. Should i get a new key?

Snik 07-24-2013 07:32 PM

does the central lock button work if say you try to get in and the windows are down.
does it seem to do it more in the hot day rather than the cool night?

SC4R27 07-24-2013 07:42 PM

No they don't and the temperature does not change the outcome. I was hoping all it needs is a new battery

Snik 07-24-2013 07:54 PM

yeah, doesnt sound like the GM5

scottjoh 07-24-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Scott may chime in soon?

CHIME!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC4R27 (Post 15596157)
my key just stopped working on all doors and trunk. the interior lights also do not turn on. Sometimes if i shake the key (i do not hear anything inside) and then press unlock it will work. I think its broken from being dropped. Should i get a new key?

Bad key. Get it repaired or buy a new one. It's up to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elbee (Post 15595976)
So, I had this issue once with my dad's e39. The key fob would not lock/unlock the doors. It was a fairly easy repair. I did it awhile ago so I don't remember the specifics, but the repair was done in the trunk.

The same issue is coming up on our e46 and based on the searching I've done, it's not as straightforward. It looks like it can be a problem with the actuator or the GM5 module. Both look like fairly involved DIY's. Is there a test I can do to determine which part might be the issue? I'm hoping to avoid an unnecessary DIY.

So the SAME issue is happening with your E46 which from what you wrote about the E39 problem I see that you are having issues "The key fob would not lock/unlock the doors." This is not a GM5 or actuator problem. Sounds more like a key fob, key sync or FZV antenna amplifier problem.

jfoj 07-24-2013 08:27 PM

Make sure you call around to the dealers and ask for the key by part number.

Master key/keyfob part number - 66126955750 (BMW list price is showing $166.29 last I checked, some dealers will sell for as low as $124.72).

Twizted328i 02-08-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Scott may chime in soon?

Hi buddy I have these problems not key fob as have tried two what is your suggestion if answers to above questions are yes?