E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   HPF stage 2 meth problem (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=998338)

bluba 07-24-2013 09:36 PM

HPF stage 2 meth problem
 
New pump, new Solenoid and sensor is about a year old. On just the pump/meth setting, the car starts to Flutter and loses power on midrange and above. The boost gauge stays at 13 so I don't have a leak or the sensor going bad. The car doesn't seem like it's missing! On pump mode and race mode only( no meth) car runs fine. On race/meth mode, I think Everything is working fine but hard to tell.... I might feel some fluttering on the very top RPM range! Also if the car is cold like it sat overnight, I can get 3 to 5 pulls with the meth before car starts acting up... Once the car is completely warmed up I seem to have the problem with the pump/meth setting, Any ideas

Commanderwiggin 07-24-2013 09:56 PM

Sounds like you have a meth leak somewhere...

bluba 07-25-2013 10:26 AM

Wouldn't the boost drop back if I had a leak? I also pressurized the lines and I didn't see any visible leaks

InDiGlOM3 07-26-2013 09:27 AM

Re: HPF stage 2 meth problem
 
You left out the most important info.....afr.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bluba 07-27-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 (Post 15599570)
You left out the most important info.....afr.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

I will check once I have chance.

being3 07-27-2013 12:10 PM

HPF stage 2 meth problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluba (Post 15596268)
New pump, new Solenoid and sensor is about a year old. On just the pump/meth setting, the car starts to Flutter and loses power on midrange and above. The boost gauge stays at 13 so I don't have a leak or the sensor going bad. The car doesn't seem like it's missing! On pump mode and race mode only( no meth) car runs fine. On race/meth mode, I think Everything is working fine but hard to tell.... I might feel some fluttering on the very top RPM range! Also if the car is cold like it sat overnight, I can get 3 to 5 pulls with the meth before car starts acting up... Once the car is completely warmed up I seem to have the problem with the pump/meth setting, Any ideas

Sounds like knock and the Aem is pulling timing to compensate... Do u have ur Aem unlocked ? Best way to know is pull the logs... If u need it unlocked ask John Reed for help. johnreedracing@gmail.com ... U dont want to mess with this if meth is not working properly u could do some damage


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Evil Twin Rob 07-27-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluba (Post 15597140)
Wouldn't the boost drop back if I had a leak? I also pressurized the lines and I didn't see any visible leaks

The meth system has a pressure sensor, so it will drop the boost if the pressure is too low. You would see a leak big enough to drop the pressure, so perhaps the sensor is failing? Also, if you ran out of meth at some point, you need to disconnect the hose and purge any air out of the system. You probably already know that, but just suggesting things to double check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by being3 (Post 15602126)
Sounds like knock and the Aem is pulling timing to compensate... Do u have ur Aem unlocked ? Best way to know is pull the logs... If u need it unlocked ask John Reed for help. johnreedracing@gmail.com ... U dont want to mess with this if meth is not working properly u could do some damage
The knock alarm is pretty sensitive, and I think it will start chirping before timing would be pulled.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app


being3 07-27-2013 02:44 PM

HPF stage 2 meth problem
 
FYI : from my experience the Aem picks up knock before the siren goes off and pulls timing. So u can have knock without the siren going off. I've done many logs showing the knock retard with no siren going off.and the Aem not even recording them... I adjusted the tune via knock retard as a guide & not knock volts as they happen to fast for the logs to pick up even at 250 samples a second. I now have my AEM serial gauge programmed to monitor knock retard and gives me a visible warning... Way more accurate than the siren and I don't have to worry about hearing it. I bet there r cars out there getting knock and not even knowing it.... It shows up on the Dyno graphs really well u can see the drop where knock occurs and I confirm it with the log.. This way of tuning was how I got such high torque numbers.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bluba 07-29-2013 06:21 PM

Ok the problem Definitely arises after the car has been warmed up with a 10 pulls. On pump/ meth, the air/file will go from 11 to 12.5 than I back out of it. Boost never backs down. On race/meth I feel it so slightly but really no A/R change.... Maybe .5

Commanderwiggin 07-29-2013 06:26 PM

Do what I did...cut out your whole meth system. Problem solved and no more risk of intake manifold/intercooler blowing up or catastrophic engine failure...and no explosive tank in the engine bay.

If you want race/meth power on pump fuel...run E85 which I'm sure PA has alot of...and throw in a flex fuel infinity ;)

bluba 07-29-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin (Post 15606157)
Do what I did...cut out your whole meth system. Problem solved and no more risk of intake manifold/intercooler blowing up or catastrophic engine failure...and no explosive tank in the engine bay.

If you want race/meth power on pump fuel...run E85 which I'm sure PA has alot of...and throw in a flex fuel infinity ;)

What? Can you hook me up with this

Commanderwiggin 07-29-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluba (Post 15606220)
What? Can you hook me up with this

Click the link in my signature ;)

bluba 07-30-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin (Post 15606322)
Click the link in my signature ;)

Thanks

bluba 07-30-2013 01:57 PM

Ok few more pulls today. Only have the problem when I mash the gas pedal to wide open throttle too.... If I ease into it to wide open throttle, car works fine. Like I said the only thing that has not been replaced new is pressure sensor and spray nozzle

InDiGlOM3 08-01-2013 08:34 PM

Re: HPF stage 2 meth problem
 
Have you looked at nozzle? The tip moves over time. Something to chm.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bluba 08-01-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 (Post 15613864)
Have you looked at nozzle? The tip moves over time. Something to chm.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

What u mean moves? I looked at it but just looked u shaped! Maybe clog with something?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use