View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I'm confused. I could have sworn Mr Paddle.shift said in his track blog an oil cooler was not needed for a non supercharged car, and now mrshelley is saying oil temps on an E46 would freak people out.

EDIT, here's the quote from VS Engineering:
I log data on my car with an AIM dash. It does log the oil temp. A few years ago, I did not run an oil cooler. Oil temps ran around 300 F at tracks like Barber (outside temps around 95 F) and Trois Rivieres. With the oil cooler, it runs around 240F at those tracks (and about 225F everywhere else). Problem for me was that when it came time for a pit stop, the heat soak would make the water temp skyrocket thus it would start pushing water out. Also, the engine makes less power once the oil temps get real high because the ECU is trying to save the engine.

Every 330 that's in Koni, runs an oil cooler. So, I'm not the only one who has found this out.

You have to remember, the car is run flat out for 2.5 to 6 hrs at a time. The data tells me, the oil temp peaks at after 20 minutes of runtime with the cooler and 40 minutes without.