View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 AM   #24
Attaus

My Ride: '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTUnit View Post
What kind of proof do you want? Have them build motors and have them blow up? Who is going to foot the bill for that? Experienced builders dont want to spend money on something they see weaknesses in. You also have to allow for a "margin of safety" when building a motor. You cannot run it at its limit. Some dumbass customer will do something stupid and come to complaining your kit blew up and sucks and they want their money back.
Blowing up motors is part of building fast cars. If something hasn't given out yet, you aren't making enough power.

Quote:
Based on what? No offense but what qualifications/knowledge/experience do you have to make such an assumption?
Because forged parts are used on every single serious performance motor from 500-1500+hp. When you swap out a crankshaft in any other car, you go for a forged 1 piece. You don't need forged steel parts on a 220hp 3.0L I6 that revs to 6.5k RPM. Saying it's overbuilt is not a drawback.. it's a compliment.

Quote:
The materials used dont mean anything if the structure cannot support the forces involved. The body on my car is made of steel. I can punch a large size dent in the side of it. If that body were 1/4 thick of the same material I would break my hand. See the difference? The shape/structure also matters.
I actually have no idea what you are saying. Something about punching steel?

Using the same example, you punching the side of the body has no effect on anything other than cosmetics. The materials used are everything.. you don't get it. I posted everything from what the block is made of to what the rods are made of.

Quote:
There is a lot that goes into motor design to allow it to hold a certain amount of power.
No, there is a lot of motor design to withstand the stress of the power the engine makes for hundreds of thousands of miles. Occasionally this means overbuilding. Most companies, even with performance cars, are indifferent how much power the engine can make with the stock block. That explains why some cars, like the 2JZ and 03/04 Cobra motor can take 800whp stock, and some - like the LT1, have hyperpeutic pistons that can only take ~400whp stock. However, my Z28 had 160,000 hard miles and it started every time.

Quote:
Coming out of a turbo the IAT will be closer to 100 degrees.
Google intercoolers and methanol injection. Those help lower IAT's.

Quote:
Aluminum is better for turbocharging because it conducts heat away from the combustion chamber faster. Lower burn temperatures allow you to run more boost or a higher compression ratio.
Which is exactly why this thread exists. Thank you for pointing that out.

Quote:
Once again you are discussing things you seem to have little background on and making generalizations based on opinions and feelings.
I'm posting based on what little knowledge is available. By all means, if you know more than I do, post it up. But from my standpoint all you're doing is nitpicking my post with invalid points.

Quote:
How much power a car can handle for how long also depends on how it is used, the tune, the way it is loaded, cooling, propensity to detonate, ect.
Let's ask him to give us a log of exactly how much power he ran for how long. Orr... we can just assume he boosts as much as the average driver would.

Quote:
The tuning, internals, and fuel system are the most important parts.
I would think a turbocharger would be the most important part on a turbo kit.

That's your opinion and I never made a claim at what the most important parts are.

I said that tuning would need to be found, and certain parts are universal and can be purchased from anyone. Internals can be found, too, as can a fuel system.

'03 330Ci 5spd PP
Alpine Type R, MRP 500

Last edited by Attaus; 05-29-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Attaus is offline   Reply With Quote