View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
oh really?

hahaha.

I have tried cumin in tomato sauce, I don't care for it much.

We make pasta at least once a week, I have a really quick and inexpensive recipe.

First thing I do is get a pot on for the pasta, I always use a lot of water, so it takes a while to get going. Also remember to salt the water liberally.

For the sauce, I let the cans of tomato be my limiting agents, so this is for one can of tomatoes....

one medium onion, sometimes I use a red onion-- diced
about five good cloves of garlic smashed and chopped- love garlic
sometimes some carrot diced

all of this goes in the pot with a good amount of evoo, more than I would use if I were just cooking the onions/garlic/carrot since the oil will flavor the rest of the sauce. If I am adding meat to the sauce I add it now to cook with the onions.

Salt.

Once this is going well, I will throw in some crushed red pepper flakes and dried spices. The Fresh Market sells an italian seasoning mix that is rosemary, parsley, oregano, basil and marjoram. I like to get those in early because the hot oil really opens the spices up an fries them a bit, and in return they flavor the oil. It really helps to disperse the flavors evenly throughout the sauce.

Then I dump in a can of crushed tomatoes, san marzano if I have them. Let the tomatoes cook a bit to round off the harsh edge of the flavor and to get the oil dispersed around. Many times I will add some alcohol, sometimes wine, sometimes vodka, to help with the alcohol soluble flavors of tomatoes- often overlooked.

By now, hopefully the pasta is a bit under perfect, so I will drain it and dump it into the sauce to let it finish up in the sauce.

This usually takes about 30-45 minutes in total, so it's pretty fast.
dave

thanks for the recipe
i never finished cooking pasta in the sauce before

i'll try it out definitely, thanks