E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 and phone

10K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  jfoj 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I can't figure this out or find any relevant info on the forum.

I have this "phone" button and R/T on my steering wheel.
Can I connect my BB Curve with BMW system?

I tried pairing up my BB Curve with my car, but nothing worked.

Sorry if this is lame question, if there is similar topic on this forum, please post the link. Thank you !

#2 ·
:search:

almost all e46's come with those deceiving buttons. a few quick ways to check is to pull down the panel where the reading lights are in the headliner and see if theres a mic. or, go in the trunk and pull the carpet back on the left side (much easier than it sounds) and see if theres anything going on in there (any lil metal boxes mounted horizontally with wires attached [TCU or ULF])

if it has assist (sharkfin), you can swap out the TCU with a newer one from Tischer ($400). i just did it a few weeks ago, took about 10 minutes and works flawlessly.

#4 ·
Good luck on searching those key words I'm interested in.

I know I have a mic. because when I was playing around with my rear view mirror I pressed SOS button (next to assistance button) and it told me I'm not subscribed to the BMW service and to end this call say "Good Bye".

So how do I connect to existing system? Does it have Bluetooth or I need to buy newer TCU?

#3 ·
the phone button i believe was first used in conjunction with the factory wired phone, kinda like the in-car phone on the older e38 7 series. then it became a button for bluetooth. to sync your crackberry you need the blutetooth kit, pricey IMO, but i believe it allows for some neat features like phonebook access, etc. if you just want the button to answer/end a call and use the speakers as a speakerphone, there are cheaper solutions out there that require less installation work and function just as well.

#8 ·
see my last post at the end of this thread, w/ some pics...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10055750&highlight=#post10055750

Now, I have a convertible which may be different, but I do have BT and I do not have a shark fin. ??

My phone (iPhone) paired up easily once I got the passkey from the unit (pics).

Funtionality: My radio will mute when I have a call come in -- push the sterring button to answer, I can scroll trough my address book (400+ numbers though), displays caller ID on the radio, handsfree of course (mic is on my steering column), etc.,
But I do not have some features like last calls log, direct search, presets, etc. It could be better, but it is what it is and I definately like having it vs. not.

#9 ·
+1
exactly the same as mine, and mic is on the steering column where the hazard light button is on chevrolets and other american cars. I found out how to link my phone via the owners manual.

#15 · (Edited)
Luke, I have the same question...what does that button allow me to do?
Well, as you see opinions are different.

I will do some more research on this once I find some free time and will post back with results. It is hard to believe that there is a button on the steering wheel that doesn't do anything unless you buy extra module.

From the link posted above:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10055750&highlight=#post10055750

I found out some info about "pair up" button which I don't have, weird because my car is 2005 and according to discussion in that topic the car should be equipped with TCU :/ thus it should have "pair up" button under the arm rest ? :eeps:

I will check out my trunk for TCU later on.

#14 ·
^^check out the little "grille" on the overhead panel where your sunroof button is-this is where the mic is normally located. you can pry it out or shine a flashlight into it. if you see something, its probably a mic. if its hollow, well...

#17 ·
You have an SOS button, meaning you should have Assist, meaning you should have a sharkfin, meaning you should have a TCU, meaning the mic should be in the headliner grille thing by the reading lights, meaning you're missing something. Yes, you have a 2005, but I think at that point it MAY depend on the build date. BMW was generous in 2005 and said, ok cool you sprung for the Assist, here's some bluetooth while you're at.

The "pairing button" that you see on other posts is for the ULF (much more cashmonies) and for ppl w/o Assist. It goes where the coin tray is under the armrest, or under the armrest like most ppl do because you only need it for the initial pairing.

Mine also came WITH a card that said BT passkey. BMW acknowledged that they messed up by sending it, since they didnt equip it with the unit (d'oh!)

That being said, let us know what you find in your trunk, and we'll take it from there ;)

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks man !!
With the information you provided I went into my car again during the lunch break ;)

Shark fin = check
SOS button = check
Assistance = check
Mic. = check
2005 model = check

So I started up the car again and tried to search for devices using my BB Curve. No good, so I went into my BB options and made my device discoverable (duh) and ta da - found BMW audio device.

I started digging in my trunk (left side) but gave up since people who were passing by were looking at me really weird ;)

All I need now is the pass key. Do you think I can get it by calling BMW dealer or do I really have to remove my trunk cushion to get to TCU?

Edit 1: So I called BMW and this lady told me it is going to be 0000 or 1234, WTF? :D I guess she has no clue what the hell is TCU. Thanks again guys for all the input. I will look for TCU when I get home.

Edit 2: Another dealer; bring the car to the service, we will connect it to the computer and tell you the pass key. I didn't even ask for how much ;)

#25 · (Edited)
OK, so I got this figured out and here are the steps for E46 Sedan equipped with BT.

Before you start remove everything from the trunk, that includes the trunk mat and the spare wheel cover, then proceed further.

1. Remove left taillight cover and put it on the side
2. Unscrew and remove top, left plastic nut from the back cushion (there is two pieces there, screw and plastic mounting plate so don't loose it)
3. Pull out plastic pin with flat nose screwdriver or long nose pliers.
4. The same as number 3
5. Pull the cushion up
6. Pull the cushion away

Your TCU is sitting on the top of the plastic shelf.
You can easily read PK (Pass Key) code from the sticker.

To synch. your phone with BMW BT.

1. Make sure your phone is discoverable
2. Start your car
3. Search for devices using your phone
4. You will find BMW audio device, connect to it
5. Type in the PK you found on your TCU sticker located in the trunk
6. Enjoy

Attachments

#26 ·
Lucus Do you have a shark fin on your car?I have been trying to get a tcu to work in my car but i dont have the black wire in the picture on the far left(i have been trying to find out if this is like the shark fin wire or one of the phone link wires) i have a blk wire in the trunk but it has a diff connector that wont hook up to the tcu.

#28 · (Edited)
Thanks i have been trying to figure it out cant get a straight answer i found this pic and it listed that connect point as "main phone" so i am thinking i might need an adaptor wire of some sort to connect the blk/purple wire to that connect point. Anyone else that has input please post up (i have been looking thru too many threads and no luck)Thanks

#30 ·
Yea it just has a regular "circle type" connector the other wires and the tcu have the odd notched connect points (so cant mix up the wires) so my blk wire wont connect/Unless of course there is an adaptor wire etc. this is what i have been trying to figure out. I would give you a shiney nickle if you found out the number on the sticker/tag that is stuck to your black wire in the pic lol.

#32 ·
no sharkfin, did not pay for BMW Assist, but have bluetooth. you need the passkey code (it should have come with the car). good luck !

#37 ·
2 weeks later....

04's with assist did not, 05's did :-(

2005 + assist = BT. Play with the settings until your phone finds it, I promise its there.

>2004, sorry we have to replace the TCU. I did it. $350 with the core charge refunded. completely worth it. ecstuning.com

#38 ·
Any suggestions on why I can't get my Razr to pair with my 04/2004 330Ci? I recently bought the car and it came with the card with Pass Key # and I also pulled my trunk liner and it has the identical unit to the one shown in Lucas's picture in post 25, image #32. I've tried several times to pair it right after starting the car.

All I get is "phonebook empty" on my radio display.

Just keep trying?:thanks:

Thanks...Barry

#40 ·
Yup, as far as I know I had the phone set right.....that's why I keep trying, thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'll go try it again.....:banghead:

I was also thinking that possibly it's the phone. It actually is my phone from work, just got it recently but that is no guarantee that it's the latest model but I would think if it has Bluetooth it should work.

Maybe I can find someone else and try their phone.

Thanks....Barry

EDIT: does it matter if I have my radio on or off when I start the car? Tried it both ways though already.

#42 ·
EDITEDIT: I tried a couple of other different phones yesterday and still no luck with getting a phone to see the car. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue? A video I found at BMW's site (newer vehicle I assume) showed something like "searching for Bluetooth" that came up on the radio display after starting the car. Should I be seeing anything like that since I don't have a pairing button between the seats?

#45 ·
If you have a '06 Vert like you sig, and you have BMW assist, more than likely you will have Bluetooth in the car?

Hold the "talk" button on the steering wheel for about 5 seconds and see if you get prompts for voice dialing, if you do, there is a 90% chance you have Bluetooth. Many Fanatics with the Bluetooth do not know about the Voice Dialing feature as it is poorly documented. You fully dial with voice commands either direct digits or speed dial number stored by a name or phrase, like "Home", "Office", "Bob" or "Wifey".

Also when you start the car, hit the R/T button on the steering wheel and see if the radio displays "Searching". If so, you have Bluetooth.

The Bluetooth pairing code should be on a label attached to the Bluetooth box.

Contrary to everyone's idea or opinion the Bluetooth pairing code is not 0000, 1234 or the last 4 digits of the VIN.

I can tell you this much, the Bluetooth on my car has been a pain in the butt. Modules hang from time to time requiring either the Radio fuses, #7 & #40??) to be pulled for 5 minutes or the battery being disconnected. I have also heard, however, not confirmed, that on the cars without the iDrive, the Bluetooth module can only support so many phones being paired. Once the que is full, the only way to clear paired phones is to have a dealer or Indy with a GT1 or like tool clear the Bluetooth module.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.