View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Thanks for the advice, point well taken.

I wasn't too worried about mixing the minimal amount of remaining BMW 5w-30 with the new fill of M1 0w-40, but I hadn't thought about the possible detergent effect of the different oil. I'll wait for the second drain to send in a sample of the M1 - probably about 7-8 more months with my usual driving habits, though I'll probably rack up 2500 miles in June alone.

I don't live particularly near the ocean - it's at least ten miles to the nearest salt water and that's a little inlet run by the Port of Tampa. The nearest decent beach is at least 30 miles away, unless you count the crappy dredged-up-beaches on the sides of the Courtney-Campbell Causeway.
Glad you're taking it into consideration. I've seen plenty of UOAs after an oil switch that have puzzled/scared/angered the owners because of the residual cleaning. Second UOAs seem to restore faith and settle them down. Post it when you get it done. Consider Dyson Analysis too. He gives alot more detail than what BStone does and has comments/remedies about cause and effect. Worth every penny IMHO. He will also do interpretations from the results done by any lab as well, but prefers a small lab in Texas (he has no affiliation or interest, just trusts their testing).

I asked about proximity to the ocean because of the sodium level. Sodium is a common oil additive that depletes as its used. Elevated numbers in small degrees usually come from areas where road salt is used and the resulting dust gets ingested and shows up in UOAs. I had doubts as to FDOT's use of road salt so I took a stab that you lived near salt air. Nothing to worry about and just a curiosity on my part. Motor on.

Last edited by shortyb; 06-25-2009 at 06:03 PM.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote