View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #208
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffeater View Post
I have a question? Ive read all this thread and i seem to understand it well and think its a great way to easily get more out or you car at a little extra mpg but i was wondering, i do a lot of motorway driving and mileage and would this method work the other way around? I have a 3.38 and if i could live with a little slower off at the lights and wanted more MPG then could i use a lower type diff to bring the rpm down on the motorway and save on the long hauls? Could this work? I have a second car for hard driving so dont need more torque from my bimmer.
well you might use more gas trying to get your 318 up to speed in city driving. but when it is on the highway and cruising flat, yes a lower diff ratio should help your gas mileage(as long as your car's engine isn't too far out of it's best powerband).