View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #55
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5MT_E46 View Post
I guess we are in the same boat. Got my V710 in 18 for a month.
Gas miles from 25-28avg down to 22-23 avg. Wont go over 26mpg on road tirp that I always avg 28-29mpg. Car feels powerless, brake seems doesnt stop the car at all, where with my old stock 17 my brake can grip and stop on dime.

It does look make my car look alot better.
While there's no doubt that adding a few pounds to taller wheels will make some difference (though I wonder how many of us could pick it out in a blind A/B driving test?)... there's no way that you're going to drop that much fuel economy just because of heavier tires/wheels, particularly on the highway. There, once you get the heavier wheels/tires up to speed, there's no additional penalty (minus a very, very insignificant penalty for curves). If the tires are a LOT wider than the originals, you may be pushing more air... but the weight can't possibly be causing that kind of change in gas mileage. I'd look for some other factor that is killing your mileage.

Maybe you just drive faster now that your car is sexier?