View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
DrkSide_RbL

My Ride: 99' 328i Sport Sedan
Send a message via AIM to DrkSide_RbL
Unhappy Please help! Eml+asc light=broken car!!!!

hello everyone...I have a 99' 328i 5 spd sedan that I was driving to work last week (not driving hard or anything) and all of a sudden it just started sputtering and had no throttle response. I looked at the RPM coz i thought it stalled out but the engine was still running and the RPM was steady. No response from the gas pedal tho. I pulled over and shut off the car for a couple minutes. Turned it back on and was able to sputter w/ the throttle jerking up and down into a parking lot. The EML & ASC(traction control) light turned on during this whole craziness.

After 10 minutes i restarted the car again and the lights were gone and I was able to drive the car for a few minutes then the same thing happened all over again. Eventually I had to get the car towed and obviously was late to work.

Prior to this my check engine light had already been on with only one code P0101 - Mass or Volume air flow circuit range/ performance problem. I've tried several things to fix it but it continues to remain on. I don't know if the check engine light was related to this new problem.

What I replaced prior to this problem happening:
-brand new MAF sensor, ripped air intake boot, updated cam and exhaust position sensors, spark plugs.

These replacements helped reduce a bunch of codes down to only 1 code from the check engine light. Even after replacing these parts I would still feel like the car was misfiring or not running on full horses. It would come and go. I especially felt it on the freeway when i step on the pedal.

I've done some research on possible causes of this problem but i couldn't really narrow it down because there were too many possible causes.

OBDII Codes that came up after this problem:
P0601 - Internal Control Module memory check sum error
P1542 - Pedal position sensor electrical

Questions that can help me troubleshoot:
- Does the regular 3 series have 3 TPS (throttle position sensors) like the M3s?
- What does EML and ASC stand for exactly?
- Where is the pedal position sensor located on a 328i?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! My car is now just sitting till I get this problem fixed.

Last edited by DrkSide_RbL; 09-29-2009 at 06:43 PM.
DrkSide_RbL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.