View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #38
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
I know this list is not complete so please respond below with suggestions on which parts to include.

A few more items:

Screws for mounting rotors to hub. I think it is best practice to replace these screws when replacing the rotor (1 per rotor).

Washer on the engine block coolant drain screw. It should be replaced each time the block is drained.

The Bentley Manual covering the 2000 Coupe being primarily discussed here instructs that anti-sieze containing copper be applied to spark plug threads. The original spark plugs had this type of compound applied at the factory as well. I would include this item in the list.

Similarly, silicone grease for caliper pins.

OE tire specifications.

OE battery specifications.

Under fluids, you talk about tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid etc. but you left out motor oil.

Washers for the differential drain and fill screws.

Personally I'd include Castrol SAF-XO as a differential fluid since it was the factory fill on your 2000 Coupe.

You included the oil drain plug but not the washer. For those still doing oil changes using the oil pan drain bolt, it is best practice to replace the washer each time.

Include auto trans filter kits (GM, ZF),

O-rings for the intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors. Best practice is to install new ones when replacing faulty sensors.

Double check inclusion of all related cooling system parts especially related to expansion tank replacement. You're missing some critical leak path items that should be addressed.

Also,

Your section on transmission fluids still needs some help.

Some GM transmissions used by BMW had Dexron III in them however none of those transmissions containing Dexron III were installed in E46 vehicles.

The Texaco fluid you list as 7045 was upgraded to 7045E for use in BMW vehicles.

You don't appear to have any mention of Texaco fluid ETL 8072 B that was used in both Xi and non-Xi E46 vehicles with automatic transmissions.

Here is a link to the relevant BMW document SI B 24 01 98 that lists transmission and respective fluids by vehicle platform, and by model year:

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...TFCapacity.pdf.

Here is a table from the BMW document covering GM transmissions and fluids for the E46:

Here is a table from the BMW document covering ZF transmissions and fluids for the E46:

I hope fellow Fanatics find this helpful

Last edited by bmwbun; 11-07-2009 at 03:40 PM.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote