View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #64
BruceJ

My Ride: 2007 Z4Si 2003 330i
Cool Secret of the Center Vent - It's got retaining clips !!

Pulled harder, got the vent out, thought I was gonna break it and thats when it came out. Did the rest in 15 Minutes. Thanks Delmarco - One of the most straight forward DIY's Ive ever done. The center vent, FYI for anybody else yet to do this: there are two upper and two lower stepped clips on the vent located on the top and bottom about one half inch in from the sides. Thats what is keeping the center vent in. They are designed that as you push the vent in the clips grab on a higher step and lock it tighter. Unfortunately you cant see them until you get the vent out. Maybe you can push down on the the whole vent assembley and then push out from the inside for the top clips and vice versa for the bottom. It's a SOB to get out by pulling and wiggling up and down. After looking at the clips you'll see why. I ended up with the same problem as Steve.325i on the mic. I really want the stealth look as well. I've got a MOTO™ W755 for a phone. I'm going to try cupping some sound insulation around the mic, leaving the mic vent as hopefully the only/major source of sound, soon as I figure out what to use. I may also try to remount and reposition the mic so that it is angled straight down. We'll see. Great MOD. Great DIY. Best bang for the buck on a Bimmer I've seen yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46 center vent.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	341343  

Last edited by BruceJ; 12-13-2009 at 07:55 PM.
BruceJ is offline   Reply With Quote