View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #125
gewse

My Ride: '00 320i, '00 ZX12R
Send a message via MSN to gewse
History of the 320i
Bought the car with non-sport suspension.
Upgraded to full Eibach Pro-kit (shocks,springs,sways) - Bouncy rear and didnt really lower the rear.
Switched to H&R Springs - Had a nice tuck, but too much understeer in high speed corners
So i switched to AST Sportline II. Don't really know how they compare to the US AST sets. But these are 45mm inverted monotube shocks and full coilover (front+rear).

year and body style: 2000 320i
setup being rated: AST Sportline II (True Coilover F+R)
possible adjustments: Ride Height, Adjustable Dampening + Adjustable Rebound
additional components: AST Camber Plates v2, AST Solid Rear Topmounts, AST swaybar links, OMP Strutbrace, Meyle HD FCABs, Powerflex 95A-Black RTABs
additional info: switched back to oem non-sport sways.
wheels: ///M Style 135 Staggered Setup. F: Michelin PS2 225/40R18, R: Falken FK452 255/35R18 (will be replaced by PS2s this summer)
[b]wheels (winter): Style 45. F/R continental Wintersport TS790 205/55R16
ride height: 11cm on jack-points.
dampening/rebound: 2 out of 12 clicks. didn't have the time to test. (+snow, +ice...)
alignment: F: -2.00 camber, 0.06 toe / R: -2.00 camber, 0.09 toe
preferred ride style: Daily Driver, German Autobahn and Track Usage.
would you recommend this setup: Yes. Absolutely.
price paid, including installation: Around EUR 2600 incl install and setup.
ride comfort: 8.5/10. No complaints on most roads. Can be hellish on bad roads (cobblestone) but thats to be expected. Highway and motorway is pretty comfy. On most other roads it isn't so different coming from H&R springs.
handling: 10/10. I'm rating it at a 10 because i don't know what can be improved outside of the adjustability of the suspension. Time will only tell. Next season (spring/summer) i need to tweak the suspension and find my personal preferences for certain applications (daily/track).

Even with dampening/rebound set to low 2/12 there is a lot less body roll compared to h&r springs w/ eibach sways. Setting this to a few clicks higher should reduce the roll even further.
I haven't experienced any understeer to this date. Didn't hit the track at this time, because i got my car back just 2 weeks before the snowfall. But driving on some twisty backroads the suspension provided utter confidence, a lot more than previous eibach and h&r setups. Great stability and precise steering.
With the winter setup, drifting around in snow, the suspension feels great. Much more responsive (steering and throttle wise) than previous years and drifts are totaly controlable.

Expensive? Hell yeah... but worth every cent IMO.

Sorry... still old photo with h&r setup..
gewse is offline   Reply With Quote