View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
jbfrancis3
Formerly Snox400

My Ride: 1999 323i
^ Thanks for the responses so far!

Dealer is most certainly being avoided. Private party is the preferred route with ALL services records.

No S, I know . Its a vehicle for my girlfriend and low maintenance/low cost is a must. It would also put any vehicle out of her budget range.

Currently looking at 2003-2005 models, and avoiding the 2001-2002. Anyone else have comments on years with respect to build quality and problematic areas? That was helpful listing the failed parts by the way 330ciandr6

Also, I'm struggling with the mileage debate. I specified less than 100,000 while looking for the best car possible in order to attempt to avoid serious repairs. Now I'm starting to think this is unrealistic. A common rationale for buying a low-cost, higher mileage car is that you're deferring sinking a lot of money into the initial cost, but setting aside plenty of funds for future maintenance and repairs. Right now, I'm looking for a lower cost car ('03-'05 R50) with 80,XXX but would have a very thin margin for any work on the car in the future. Am I just setting myself up for headaches in the future?

Last edited by jbfrancis3; 01-06-2010 at 10:15 AM.
jbfrancis3 is offline   Reply With Quote