View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
BuckwheatOne

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Oil Separator questions

First off....I had one thing inspected at the dealership recently, which had nothing to do with the oil separator (OS), but when I get back and the service manager starts to break things down for me, he says the oil separator is faulty. He claims the technician saw the yellowish gunk in the valve cover (essentially under the oil fill cap), and automatically diagnoses it as the oil separator.

Question 1: is this the ONLY diagnosis for the yellow goo in the valve cover?

I say no, especially since I've seen some other threads about how it could be b/c of a bad head gasket among other things. I have a feeling they just wanted to get me to pay for the OS replacement.

Well, they've scared me enough anyway. The OS failed under warranty when the car was 2 years old, sent oil through the entire engine and even out the exhaust, but I remember that it cost something like $2K to fix (all labor for cleaning, etc., I'm sure). So, given that I'm afraid of paying for that again...I'll be doing the OS DIY.

Which leads to Question 2: Since I have to take off the intake (to install the cold weather version of the OS), which involves messing around with the fuel rail, is it possible to start the car, pull the fuse for the fuel pump and let the car stall out on its own with no fuel in the fuel line? That would ideally avoid the mess when messing with the fuel line.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
BW
BuckwheatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.