View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #33
rads

My Ride: E46 M3
Holy Thread Resurrection!

I seem to be having a problem with my convertible roof when the temperature drops below 0 centigrade.

This quote from page one of the thread seems to describe pretty much exactly what I am experiencing, but it is the only scrap of evidence I can find anywhere on the web which suggests the presence of a cold temperature sensor for the roof.

Quote:
a couple of amateur thoughts on this...

my '02 car originally came w/ a temperature sensor that wouldn't allow the top to go down below 28 degrees. of course, it wouldn't allow it to go up either. so it got stuck down one winter morning when the temperature plummeted and the car had been sitting in the garage over the weekend.

took it straight to the dealer, where they removed (maybe bypassed) the sensor. those sensors are no longer used and the top works great.
Has anyone else experienced this, or point me towards anymore info?

Over the last couple of days my experience has been as follows:
Temperature Roof Operation
+1 C open
-2 C Stuck - red light on button when trying to close but no movement, no noise, no window drop etc. *1
0 C Closed Nornmally
-1 C Refused to open, symptoms as per *1
+0.5 Opened normally
+0.5 Closed normally

Looks like an open and shut case () but there was, of course, some driving in between the steps, and the boot was opened and closed so there could be other factors. That said, when the roof first failed to close, I did try slamming the boot several times and the roof still did not work.

So in summary, E46 roof temperature inhibit switch, true or false.

David
'03 M3 convertible, in the UK
rads is offline   Reply With Quote