View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
Seems like your doing well so far, I take Dave Ramsey's style, Automatic Millionaire, and my own plan for budgeting/investing and paying off mortages early.
Currently, refi'd 5% on my condo(using as a rental property since 06')
Zero car debt/payments, 6 months left on girlfriends car
Emergency fund- six months worth, girlfriend has the same
18% in my 401k, 12% girlfriend does
20% for my own trading account, savings for large purchases>1000.00
atleast one extra mortgage payment/year on my condo, her house we are planning for a 6-7 yr mortgage payoff(30 yr fixed original loan)
We still take vacations, and go out to eat but, if we don't have extra money that month, then don't do it. Don't like the feeling of having debt, including car debt.
That sounds like a good plan, and it sounds like you are doing really well. Hopefully we can get to where you are at soon! We are going to hold off on retirement until we got an emergency fund and we have all the debt paid off, but then it is 15% from each of us.

I don't go 100% word-for-word by Dave's plan, because we aren't in as dire of a situation as a lot of his listeners.

JDM, I'd definitely get the book from your relatives and start with that. Personally, I think that Financial Peace is for those who have NEVER seen a budget or are very limited with financial knowledge. You can get used kits off Ebay for pretty cheap if you are in that group and need some detailed help. If you check out DaveRamsey.com you can get about 85% of the info from his book. Also, be sure to check the debt myths section of his site. VERY insightful.

What kills me is I try to talk to my Mom and step-Dad about it and Mom refuses to listen. I try explaining to her how much extra $$ we have on hand now and she doesn't think his plan is legit and will work. Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.

Last edited by BimmerFerret; 02-08-2010 at 03:57 PM.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote