View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
BuckwheatOne

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Just a follow-up on my OS DIY:

Yeah, I had a ton of the yellow gunk in my OS, and all the hoses that connect to it. I cleaned out the dipstick tube (the metal piece that you don't replace in the process) and everything else I could get to that I wasn't replacing.

Some thoughts:

1. As mentioned above, you do not need to remove the intake manifold to get the new (cold weather) OS in there. It's a bit of a PITA to get the thing in there and the associated hoses attached, so just be patient, work slowly and you'll be fine. Most of my troubles stemmed from the fact that my wire harness box didn't move completely out of the way (see here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=740739 ). Some models have connections that allow you to move the box further away than I did, some don't. I guess it's tied to the build year (who knows???).

2. I did have a bit of trouble installing the new hose that goes from the OS to the valve cover (due to the insulation). I removed the insulation, installed the new one and then tried to slip the insulation back around the tube once in place. Give it a shot, it may or may not work for you.

3. There are posts out there that say that the curved tube going from the OS to the intake must be "twisted on," but there are also posts that say that you can just snap it on if you can't manage to twist it on. I snapped it on and nothing broke, it's the easiest way to get it on if you can manage putting a decent amount of force on it (which requires leverage in an already tight spot). Again, be patient and creative.

4. I did break the F-tube coming out of the upper intake boot and I went to the stealership to get a replacement, but they were dumbfounded b/c it isn't in any of their diagrams. I'm looking up the part number now to see if I can find it.

All in all, I'm happy this is done so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
BuckwheatOne is offline   Reply With Quote