View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Darth Bimmer

My Ride: 00 328i & 01 Mcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumped_gti View Post
REALLY????? If your going to waste all of that time to remove the OS. just replace the damn thing! They go bad all of the time! I can do them in under an hour! Don't clean it out!!! WASTE OF TIME! I know my time is worth money. Don't remove the intake manifold either! I will get pictures next time I have one come in the shop, And i'll do a fast and simple write up.. Oh and the fuel lines and rail don't need to be removed.
Yes REALLY!!!!!

I never said anything about removing the intake and fuel rail.
Plus, they don't go "BAD" they get clogged. Have you ever cracked one open, once you do you can understand what's going on in there. There is a spiral in there that air/oil vapor goes trough, oil gets separated from the air as it goes trough that spiral and drains back to the pan. Whatever oil vapor that is left gets sucked up with air in the intake and gets burnt in the engine.

There are two ways they can "fail". they either freeze or get clogged. If they clog or freeze in the spiral, it prevents the engine from sucking air trought the valve cover vent. That's when the oil gets sucked in trough the dip stick and that you make a James Bond worthy smoke screen as you drive or worst, your engine hydrolocks.

If it freezes or clog in the passage between the membrane and the intake side, it prevents the pressure from the crank case to escape. that's when pressure built up inside and blow the seals out and leak oil everywere.

You are right in saying that TIME IS MONEY and that in a shop your time is worth just as much as replacing the part itself and that it's going to be quicker for YOU and give YOUR SHOP an opportunity to perform more work in one day thus make more money.

But for an enthusiast who enjoy working on his own car, why replace a part if you can save it. After cracking a few separators open, I finally figured out that, if cleaned properly, they are still ok and will perform just as well as a new one. I performed this operation on MY car and for a few friend and none of us had problems so far, it's been 2 years on mine.

I'm not saying it's THE only way to go, I'm sharing an alternative. Please stay comb, no need to blow a fuse. The way you wrote your answer, I can imagine you pi$$ed and yelling your answer.

You are right in what you say but, that does'nt mean that only you holds the one and only truth.

It is true that it can be done under an hour once you get used to it but, not everyone has the opportunity to replace them every week. Thus most DIYers will take well over an hour to perform. Just try to remember the first time you tried to reinstall the hose between the OS and the valve cover, how much fun you had...

I'm a BMW tech. and I had the opportunity to study the problem on my own time and I even found a solution for a fail safe in case anyone is interested.

I'm about to test it on a friend's car who do short drives all the time and his keeps freezing. When I know if it works properly, I'll post a DIY on here.

Last edited by Darth Bimmer; 02-16-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Darth Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote