View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
IB RearWheelin

My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
Thanks for the tips. I was gunna go HVLP already but didn;t know the rest of it.

As for paint in terms of quality where do I start? Im not sure how to shop for it yet. Internet and in person. And i haven't found the internet source yet but from other member suggestion ive heard automotive stores will mix paint to any color you want.

How can I trust these guys to get the perfect match? Also is store bought paint air dry? Cause i dont have a car oven or an electromagnetic dumping swimming pool filled with paint.

Lastly what can i expect as far as quality from aftermarket paint. Is it like driving in the sense that the driver makes the car. Plus good care of it will make it last indefinately. All i know is my freshly week old perfect front end. looked like ass from 15 feet. FIFTEEN REAL FEET not two feet and they blend from 15 my front bumper was pebbled with 1 to half inch wide store chips from doing 5 minutes at 135. Bullshit I tell you.
well it depends on what kind of quality do you want your paint to be and how much do you want to spend.

House Of Kolor (the top diggity dog if you want VERY good wet looking paint)
Dupont..(good stuff too)
Emperol (fair)
Starfire (fair)

Very important to decide if you want to either paint in a single stage or 2 stage. Being that you are freshly starting out, I would personally say start with a single stage but it's your choice.

Single stage painting is cheaper...you only spray a base coat onto the project and it will be glossy already but thats all.

2stage on the other hand is for experienced sprayers. You spray a base coat, then turn around and spray your effects such as sparkles, or metallic flakes. You finish off the job with a clear coat...(this is the best part about 2 stage). You can spray as many coats of clear as you want...which will only make the paint appear WETTER and WETTER (glossier). Candy paint is the proper term used in the paint industry.

Yes paint is air dry...you will need to mix this paint with reducer, and hardener. If you don't your paint will come out completely wrong. You have to mix paint especially because you can't spray thick paint straight from a can out of a gun.
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote