View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #24
newtuner

My Ride: '04 330CI, M package
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
@newtuner: Thanks for the DIY. I am undertaking another project that involves removing the intake manifold and I decided to go ahead and replace the starter while I am in there--98k on original starter. I could only find a reman Bosch one. I think I'll hang onto my original one too for back up and maybe rebuild. I can send it back for $83 core + shipping though. My original one and replacement are from the same OE maker, Bosch.

When you removed yours, you said you removed it without removing the manifold all from underneath your car? How did you deal with the alignment pin? Even with all the access I had (I still had to remove the fuel filter cover and use an E12, a universal, and a 10" extension for the side torx bolt. From the top since I had access, I used a E12 box wrench. However, that alignment pin was a pita. I used a screwdriver to try and pry it and finally got it to off after a few tries. It was in tight and I noticed it was rusted. I think when I reinstall everything, I'll sand it a bit and put some anti-seize on it.

If I had all this trouble, I have been wondering how you dealt with the alignment pin and all from below.
I find this interesting as your not the first one to have trouble with the pin. I don't know what I did different but mine seemed to "pop" on there. I didn't even clean mine. It did take a couple of tries to get it to seat, but once the starter was about 1/16-1/8 from fully seating I just pulled it in with the bolts. I wonder if some people are bending the pin when taking out the old one??? Taking the fuel filter cover and the vacuum part (small black barrel shaped part) I had a lot of room to work in. I don't know if this is very different from a manual tranny. I did have to use the 4 extensions to get around the tranny and remove the lower bolt.

As for the rebuilt parts I haven't had a chance to follow up on this, but I am going to check with a local business that rebuilds BMW electronics. I think the rotor part is still good as a quick clean with sand paper cleaned it up nice. I didn't feel any wear groves from the brushes. So I'm hoping to pick up the brushes that come already in the holder (large ring shaped part). I'm pretty sure none of the dealerships will stock this as they just send the ones they get out to get done. I will keep you guys posted on what I find out and maybe an online supplier can be found.
newtuner is offline   Reply With Quote