View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
aj330ci

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Dropping a cylinder when the car reaches 1/4 tank of gas

Ok, this is a really strange thing that has been happening to my car for the past few months, and just happened last night, so I'm kind of worried.

I drive a 2004 BMW M3.

When my car reaches right around 1/4 tank of gas left, it feels like the car drops a cylinder. Same feeling as like a coil pack going out. The car loses basically all acceleration, and if you try to get it moving, it just spits, sputters, and dies on you.

After I go to the gas station, fill the car up with gas, and let it run for a little while, it works just fine again. I did some reading on the Internet, and I know how the car is behaving is like a coil pack going out, but I doubt that's it since it only happens when the car reaches 1/4 tank of gas left.

I also know the gas gauge isn't wrong because when I stopped and filled it up, I put 12 gallons in on a 16 gallon tank, with the 4 gallons being the 1/4 tank that was left.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be going wrong with the car? The solution right now is to just keep it above 1/2 tank of gas at all times, but that's just until I can get it to the shop.

Thanks for any and all help!
2003 BMW 330CI - Topaz Blue SOLD
aj330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.