Thread: Race gas
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
i was being sarcastic about the cheap gas i guess what i'm wondering is how far can the vanos go? or does it hit a peak limit at a certain octane level? say it's 93 and anything above does nothing cause it can't adjust the timing past a certain point? maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about, i'm an auto body tech far from a mechanic. ??? my train of thought was coming from.. my car runs considerably better on 93 then low grade gas so i figure maybe it will run better on even higher?
There's a sweet spot with regard to octane for every engine combination. In general, you need to look at the MON (Motor Octane Number) when comparing fuels, as that's what race fuel is most often designed around.

On an N/A engine with under 11:1 compression, you really aren't going to see gains from octane above 95 MON.

What you will see with most race fuels, is a small gain in HP due to the quality of the fuel's vaporization and burn characteristics.

If you are comfortable spending 4 times the cost of regular pump fuel for say VP Streetblaze 99 to get an additional 3rwhp....go ahead and use it.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote