View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Hey guys thanks for your answers. I finished with all of my suspension work this morning after a total of 10 hours of work time to replace the struts, shocks, springs, sway bays (Front and rear), sway bar endlinks (front and rear), shock and strut mounts, FCAB's, and outter tie rods (both sides). The car handles as good as if not better than the M3 now. To update on my questions.

1) Bilstein does indeed use internal bump stops so there is no need to reuse your oem ones on the front. (The Rear you will need to reuse your oem bump stops.)
2) I installed the springs on the perches correctly (for those of you about to do this with any suspension do not listen to the people on here that tell you it needs to sit in the notch on the perch! If you look at the rubber spring seat there will be an indentation from where the stocks sat at place it there and that is correct and dont worry about ow the rubber sits as it will only sit one way!)
3) The bilsteins sit on a lip inside of the pinch joint and should look like my pictures above this is correct!
4) Without dropping 50 dollars on special socket which you would never use otherwise you cant torque that center bolt really easy, so I reccomend using an air impact as I did, it worked fine!

All in all my suspension overhaul was very straightforward process and not extremly difficult but, I did run into some problems such as my passengers side outer tie rod being frozen (unable to turn no matter how hard i turned it with the wrenches) I had to heat this until it was cherry red to get off. If it had not been for things like that I would say that a suspension overhaul like mine should take one full saturday (with a friends help) and I would rate as a 8 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest for the average do it yourselfer. One note that if you plan on changing out your tie rod ends like I did make sure to count the number of turns (complete roatations starting with the up position) that it takes to get them off and then screw them back on the exacct same number of turns, this will keep your toe at least somewhat close so that you can safely drive it to the alignment shop! Hope this helps anyone who mayby doing this as well! If you have any question please feel free to pm me!
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote