View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #103
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Having a shock in the rear helps to smoothen out the ride on rough terrain. Less bumpiness on a ride means the rider maintains great control of the bike since it is more stable (especially on downhills) and less fatigue on the body overall.

The main drawbacks to Full suspension bikes used to (1)Weight- suspension mechanism adds lbs (2)Pedal Bob -Springy action robs you of pedaling energy (3)Price.

The first two have been since been overcome for the most part with some pretty sophisticated technological advancements.....unfortunately, the prices have also gone up significantly as well....

So yes, you can overcome the percieved drawbacks of FS, but at a steep price.....I personally wouldn't get an FS unless I was looking to spend at least $2500+ (unless it was used)

The Windsor looks like a good starter bike as well, the big difference is that the Devinci/Trek you're looking at will have better components (not really a huge deal since you may or may not notice the difference as a new rider)

Tons of really good bikes out there, don't get caught up in trying to compare them ALL, since you will be here till next year still searching.

If you're gonna spend 1k, I'd say go for the Trek/Devinci....if you can find the same Windsor for $400, then save $600 and go with that.

If you have some good shops around you, I would try to buy from them first before going online...
thanks man, you're a great help along with Breyton

I'm heading to the other shop now, have 2 hours before i head to office. I'll write when i get back. I can go up to crazy prices, but there really is no point, hell i might not even enjoy biking, so i'll start off at 1 000$ and go from there.