View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #37
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Woah, easy there killer, lets calm down a bit. I never said his question wasn't valid. But lets make sure we are quoting him correctly before you go off on me again-

Its the "avoid a bird" part that prompted my post. Moving the wheel 1/32 at 170 mph would not be enough to avoid a bird, the course correction would have to be much more significant, the results of which would not be good.
I'm perfectly calm, and didn't mean for you to think I was going off on you. Going off on you would have involved a completely different tone.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about how far away he is when he sees this hypothetical bird and whether it's standing still or moving when you say that moving the wheel 1/32 won't be enough to avoid it. If the bird or any other object is static and big enough to be visible from some distance away, a gentle and minor turn of the wheel may in fact be plenty to let the car move laterally to avoid the object. The yaw rate might be imperceptible, just enough to let the car wander toward one side of the centerline or the other before coming back on center on the other side of the object. He's doing this on a runway, which I'm assuming is pretty wide, so he's got some room to move around a bit.

None of that is relevant, though. My original point is that he never said anything about jerking the wheel, and the very fact that he's asking the question means he's aware that there's a limit to what he can and can't do as far as control inputs. So warning him about jerking the wheel would seem to serve little purpose.

What he wants to know is if anyone has any experience at 170ish in this body style so they can give him specific info about how the car will feel/handle/ride.

$0.02

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is online now   Reply With Quote