View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
What class are you running? DSP or STX? E46's push, push, and then push some more. If you really want it to turn well for autocrossing, you'll need to add more camber to the front, and toe it out. I'd go at least -2.5 degrees, and 1/16th out maybe even an 1/8th. Less camber in the rear, -1.2 or so, and 0 toe or 1/16th out.

As far as sway bars, I'd go exactly opposite of what you have. Stiffen the rear, soften the front. The open diffs make it extremely hard to get the car to rotate stock unless you really get it off balance.

What kind of tires are you running? Higher pressures in the rear for sure. Again, just trying to free the back end up a little without turning the car into a Formula-D machine.

Also, I ran an e85 for 4 years, so I know how that chassis autocrosses extremely well. Switched to a Mini this year so I could actually win some national stuff
Yikes, sounds like a recipe for a drift machine to me!

Adding lots of rear bar and little rear camber will definitely make the back end move well, but it won't put power down well at all. The only advantage the E46 has is power, so you want to maintain that as much as you can. You can accomplish the same thing with stiffer rear springs and stock or no rear bar. The bonus is that the rear springs are easier to change than the rear bar! (IMO)

Also, depending on the tires you're using, you likely want a lot more than -2.5 deg of front camber. -3.5 to -4.0 is probably ideal IMO.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote