View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #46
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Not to keep going OT but will you please post a DIY for the rest of us? I'm interested in replacing the mechanical fan at some point.
Will do. But really it is as easy as pulling off the mechanical fan, mounting the new electrical, and then wiring it in - probably less than an hour job and most of it is intutive or follows the instructions in the parts boxes. Will do better when I'm not at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I might be none of my business but what was the original budget constraint? Do you mind posting retail pricing of all the parts and labor hours?

How streetable is brake ducting and removing the brake dust shields? I know I've torn up 5 fender well liners in the 7 years I've had my car. I'm sure brake ducting would not last nearly as long.
I will definitely talk about the budget at some point. The number was important, but more important is constraint of the number. I had a pretty heavy filter on when deciding what parts to use. For example - the decision to spend $2500 on aero got a lot more consideration than $500 on a brake cooling kit and ducts. Everyone expects a car with 100k of race parts thrown at it to be fast. I wanted to surprise people with how fast we could go on how little money.

Now it is an E46 M3, I did want to make it representative of what I feel is the average customer's car or just a little bit more, so I think the number now is around $15k in parts (retail). More on that later.

Brake ducts are durable. You remove the hose when not at the track.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote