View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNk504 View Post
i totally forgot about that coffee grinder!

my car is a 5 speed though. and i didn't thin about the wp but it only grinds while it is in gear and moving. i couldn't find the leak tonight but it looks like its coming from under the engine. and yes i was thinking of the trans because of where the sound was from but im thinking not now because it shifts seamlessly and quietly and since it only grinds while it is in gear moving and doesn't slip at all it could be the drive. still doesn't explain the magical coolant leak though, but they could be unrelated and i am just that lucky.
You're sure it's coolant? Sorry...got to ask.

Okay, I'm thinking throwout bearing in clutch now...but I don't really know enough about them to know for sure...but when engaged, that bearing is spinning...you'd probably notice it just after being engaged, I'd think...Search for symptoms of that...and see if anyone guesses how long they can go from the first sound?

Someone might off the guess to check your trans/diff fluid, and if you haven't ever done that, it couldn't hurt...unless you're a moron, or just didn't study enough diys on it! Don't know what might rattle in trans itself, other than a loose tooth or two getting tossed around...and think that might be more than a light grinding...but maybe not...but don't go crazy yet...I'm just a random internet guy suggesting tons of stuff it could be!

But, you know, every sound doesn't mean catastrophe right around the corner. I know my wheel bearings aren't running smooth, but I feel nothing and hear even less...just on high load turns and then just slightly. I'm monitoring.

Could be that, and I don't know how you shift...whether you keep foot on clutch a lot or not...or what PO drove car like...

There's an app for monitoring frequency...forget the name...vibrate (maybe that's something else!)...prolly frequency analyzer.

Anyway, if you're smarter than me, you might translate the frequency into some guesses as to what sized rotating thing you're hearing the sound from.

Fast might be throwout bearing, driveshaft, wheel bearings, water pump... a little slower--tires/wheels

But, I couldn't make heads or tails of it when I was hunting my vibration...I've had many I had to work through...got them all...but the front wheel bearings and the two slightly flat spotted rear wheels...both together not noticeable...anyway...cool app and maybe you're a physics major and can actually calculate diameter of thing rotating given a fixed cruising speed. If so, send formula and instructions for other curious fanatics.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote