View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNk504 View Post
ok so i dont think its the tranny anymore, i looked under the car to day and i found this shredded (see picture). does anyone know what that part is and has anyone changed one out before because i wondering how hard it will be
Glad you found it...but you really should get this car to a mechanic who can foresee stuff like this. That's real bad to be in that shape, and it's right there...anyone with flashlight and ability to look up could see that.

Okay, I'm a little sorry it's not the WP, though we can only hope that I get to be right for once too...but it still might be. Little coolant leaks are the car's way of saying take care of me. And dripping a little coolant might be nothing now, but you do need to know where it's coming from. Some things might increase their rate of failure very quickly and it could the the ET again...just coz it's new doesn't mean it won't fail.

But, on the guibo again...that's really bad...and if you had a ppi, should have been noted...if you've ever had it for oil change at other than Jiffy lube, I'd be surprised that no one noticed it.

No, they don't really fall apart catastrophically, but it's holding a driveshaft spinning very fast...that part is there for a reason. Yes, you can diy this, but there's a lot to learn about to do it right...it's not really easy. And, at the point that you're doing it, then you ought to consider center support, which frankly, has to have been going through a beating for some time...dropping exhaust, heat shield for that...just awkward...but mind the many details of both the 'simple' guibo install and csb if you do that...it's more than just torque to spec...you need new bolts and nuts...you need to install bolts right direction (and opinions vary on that)...that one stopped me...coz of the dropping the exhaust (new gasket for that and your bolts are also rusted!)...

If you've got the know how, tools, and equipment, then study up and have at it...btw, I believe you can just do guibo without removing everything...though that might not be quite the proper way. But, seriously, please work on finding a better mechanic and developing some kind of relationship so you have someone who cares about your car, and you know, uses their special mechanic powers to see things like ripped up guibos, failed cabs, broken end links, leaking coolant or other fluid...stuff like that. Find the right mechanic and you'll see that those special powers come largely from knowing lots of stuff about cars...they can help keep you alive...so start searching the regionals to find your mechanic...this might be a good time to use a good one and have them give your car the once over.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote