View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #45
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
Very bold statement my friend for someone recommending a generic 'piggy back tune' for a NA BMW. These have been debated for several years and whether you choose AA or Dinan our options are clearly better for a NA BMW motor than a piggy back for several reasons. We have been tuning BMW's for well over 20 years and while they are same cases where a piggyback may be recommended on newer cars I cannot think why you would want a piggyback.
Just to clarify, a flash != piggyback. A piggyback intercepts sensor signals and changes them to achieve the desired outcome.

To the OP - if you're 17 and stretching the budget for a tune, don't bother!

As far as I can tell most of what the Shark did for my car was to make the throttle response more aggressive at the low end, which I find really annoying. (harder to be smooth on the throttle!)

I've never heard of a tune that really did much, and I don't really understand why AA can't flash a car similar to the Shark. Are you actually reading the tune from the car, modifying a few values based on that tune, and sending it back? Why couldn't a device like the Shark be made to do this? Silly.

And lack of Dyno? Seriously, what respectable tuner doesn't back it up with a dyno? The E46 is in no man's land in the area of tuning, it's ridiculous. If there were an AA shop within 300 miles of Minneapolis I might consider it, but mailing my ECU somewhere isn't an option.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote