View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #30
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
Then you must not work for progressive, heh.

On a serious note, thanks for the info in here, I do have a question tho. I know that I will always call the cops in the event of an accident, regardless of how minor, but is that something you would suggest as well?
It never hurts to have a police report, because that can help solidify stories at the time of accident. I've seen lots of cases where someone changes their story after the fact, when they're talking to insurance companies, at which point the case becomes a lot harder to resolve.

Remember, though, that police officers do not determine liability. That is ultimately answered by the insurance companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
is it true the owner can negotiate for $ based on depreciated value due to an accident? i.e. car worth $15000 sustains $8000 in damages, owner contends lost value on resale due to car accident/history. I always see this pop up when someone posts a thread with extensive damage to their car.
If you are at fault for an accident, the only person you can blame is yourself.
If you are not at fault, and dealing with the other person's insurance company, it is negotiable. Here's my understanding of the process (I've only dealt with it a couple times):

1. Your car gets fixed, and there are issues with it. The first thing we're going to do is get the issues you have taken care of. We will bend over backwards to ensure that the repair is done correctly.

2. You start asking about depreciated value, based on having an accident history. It needs to be a large accident, on a relatively new car. If you were already planning on selling the car, and had a buyer lined up, even better. If not, then you're going to have to do some legwork, as the responsibility becomes yours to proove the depreciated value. The way our region operates, you need to get three value estimates showing what the car is worth after the accident, and how much more it would be with no accident. From vehicle appraisers, not from your buddy around the corner. At that point, my manager (not just my supervisor) will make a determination as to whether or not the value has been significantly impacted.

All-in-all, if you weren't thinking about selling the car already, I wouldn't worry about trying to argue for depreciated value, as it's going to be a large hassle for you. Worry more about makeing sure the vehicle has been repaired properly, that it looks good and drives well.