Had a slightly different experience here, the actual whole barrel came out with the key one day. was using the key as both remotes weren't working. Fortunately managed to slice the key in half and get one of the remotes working, which meant I didn't have to break into the car. I took the grommet out, and could see the coded lock was broken, even the spring was out of alignment. decided to leave it "as is" and meant the barrel could be placed back in the car, rather than leave a hole exposed to the elements.
just waiting for my coded lock to arrive from Germany (10 day lead time), cost was £37.37 (£31.80 +VAT). think when replacing it, I'll use some thread to tie the allen key bolt, to stop it from falling into the door when I remove it. will let everyone know how I get on, wish me luck.