View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black E46 sedan View Post
That's an awesome setup you had in the forester. When you get the new cb antenna, check out the ones from Laird Antenex. Both Alex Roy and the guy with the Blackbird use them.

The scanners work for most of where I drive. It really depends if a police agency is using the older technology (most do) or if they have moved to digital or something you can't listen to such as skynet. Digital scanners can be bought but they're quite a bit more expensive. You can find most of the frequencies in the radio reference database. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/
I'm really not sure about the airplanes yet. I know they use them a lot. The plane and helicopter they keep at the Montoursville airport that I'm at school for are always in the air. My one professor does a lot of work on them so I'll ask him what frequency they use and I'll tune into that with the BCT-15. Keep in mind that aircraft don't use radar. They use vascar (white lines across highway, they time you from line 1 to line 2) to get your speed and call you into a ground unit. Keep an eye out for vascar lines and you shouldn't have a problem.

Scanners can range in price. I've heard nothing but good from Uniden so that's what I use. A BCT-15x like I have can be had for $200 new. The remote head was $170. The BCT-12 is great and it's small like a radar detector. You can find them for around $100 or less on ebay. I just want to hear more clearly with it so I'll be upgrading to an external antenna.
Digital scanners start at around $500. I may get one someday but really don't have any use for one yet.
Yeah the reason I would be interested in the scanner is because the airplanes use VASCAR (actually I think ground units do too in PA). It would be really nice for me to know if there are any birds in the air. Does your scanner pick up trunking systems? Do you ever get any useful info on the scanner? I read that most of the stuff you hear is just cops chatting and so there really isn't much reason for me to get it unless I can get some useful CM information out of it.

Also, why does it seem like a lot of people running scanners have multiple scanners (e.g. you have a Uniden BCT-12 and a BCT-15)? What kind of range do you get with the CB with the tow-hook antenna?

How thick are the VASCAR lines? I see a lot of thin white lines going across the highway when I drive on 81 (I pretty much take 83 to 81 all the way into NY) but never know which ones to worry about...

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 11-21-2010 at 12:54 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote