View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #62
JosephZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
I did this a few weeks back, and now I have to Re-Do this job, as it is still leaking. Something is not sealing itself properly.
After taking my car to JCL Automotive, they inspected my car (did not do full clean, but oil is showing in that popular spot) and I agree with them that it is safe to assume that it is still leaking from the housing gasket. Here is what they taught me.

What I learned (2001 325i Automatic)
- Best to remove the Vanos line completely from both the front and back (I only removed it from the front, made for a PITA to try reinstalling the housing. I wrestled with it so much that this step may be the reason the gasket is not properly sealing)
- Best to remove the PS pump (I Did not do this either, it makes for a battle to take out old gasket and put in the new one)
- Use a little RTV Sealant on the new gasket to keep it in the filter housing when re-installing with new gasket in place. (since I did battle to get the housing back in, they said my gasket may also have slipped out of place, RTV sealant, will prevent that from happening)
- Torque down bolts properly (I did not use a torque wrench, so there is a Small chance this could be the issue as well)

Last edited by JosephZ; 12-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.
JosephZ is offline   Reply With Quote