View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
karumph1

My Ride: 325i
e46 drivers side door lock cylinder problem solved

If your drivers side door lock spins 90 degrees in either direction and won't lock/unlock, then this information is probably exactly what you need.
Read:
My 325i keyless entry broke, so I had been using the key to manually unlock my car. I took it to the shop, and the mechanic wanted $500 dollars to fix it...$200 for the part, $300 for labor. I looked around on the internet and couldn't find any answers on how to fix it or what was wrong, but I did find out how to take out the cylinder myself. I took it out and realized that the only part that was broken was a tiny metal piece that connects the lock cylinder to the part that unlocks the car (i believe its called the actuator?). So i'm going to post a picture of what broke and I plan to go to a junkyard and take this tiny metal piece out of a wrecked 3 series. I'm 100% sure this is the only part that is broken, and this fix will be an incredibly easy DIY and probably cost me about $20 tops. Hopefully this guide helps out another bmw owner with the same problem, because apparently theres lots of people on the internet who had the same problem I did.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

New:
Ok, so I ordered the part for $29 on Ebay from osco_ltd and it took about a week to get here. I fixed the broken part and reassembled the lock. I installed it and it works perfectly. It took me a little while to figure out how to put the lock back together properly, and I had the most problems figuring out how the spring works. Here is the explanation on how to re-assemble it.

go to the post by "ledfut" with the attached pictures.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1552024

Last edited by karumph1; 12-24-2010 at 11:37 AM.
karumph1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.