View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #31
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDiggityDog76 View Post
What kind of dampers do you run with these linear springs, if you don't mind me asking?
For example, could you pair the adjustable and remote reservoir KW V3 dampers with a linear rate spring? Maybe get the best of both worlds?
Sure, you could adapt KWs to use linear springs, see this thread (not that I recommend this path):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=778202

I wouldn't consider your proposed setup to be "the best of both worlds" by any means. KW isn't total crap but they're not all that great either... there are certainly better options out there for adjustable dampers.

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been running AST 4100 coilovers on my car for several years now. I'm currently running 500 lb/in Hyperco springs up front (and considering a switch to 550#) and 650 lb/in Hyperco springs in the rear. H&R sways are full stiff up front and near full soft in the rear. It's firm but completely streetable - I daily drive my car as it's the only car I own (and the streets around Dallas aren't known for being all that smooth).

The 4100 monotube dampers are single adjustable in rebound only. They also offer a 4200 model which is adjustable for both rebound and compression as well as a 5000 series of dampers which are inverted and offer an upgrade path (ie, 5100 can be upgraded to 5200 and later to 5300). For a street driven car doing the occasional driving event, the 4100 dampers would be far more than adequate. The 4100/4200 dampers also provide enough room to easily run a 255 width tire up front for a square setup (much better for performance than the staggered stock 225/255 setup). Not sure how easy this is with the larger diameter of the 5000 series. Can't go wrong with any of the AST dampers but you really aren't likely to find a need for more than the 4100 unless you are getting into competitive racing. Speaking of racing, AST-USA has recently been chosen as a supplier of dampers for GRAND-AM racing:
http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showt...5743#post55743
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 12-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote