View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #87
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
All the boot lid stuff is now wired. It's not that tough... just take some thought.

I don't think you have much chance of pulling any plugs through that hose - it's very tight. Instead, I chopped the plug off one end of my RCA cable so I just had a skinny wire to thread. There's just one hose that runs from inside the boot to inside the lid, but there are three grommets. Undo all three. I struggled to push anything through the full length of the hose so I made an incision behind the middle grommet and routed it outside the hose and into the car. It bends inside the bodywork so makes it really difficult. I threaded a wire coat hanger through, then duct taped my wires to it and pulled them back through. Worked a treat.

As well as the video cable, I also ran a separate wire to connect up to the trigger.

Drilled a couple of holes inside the boot lid, soldered up the power and trigger wires and put it all back together.

Just waiting for my heatshrink tubing to be delivered and I can solder my RCA lead back together and it should all work

One more word of wisdom for anyone planning on doing this... Took me a little while to work out how the tool tray is connected. Turns out there are two flocked screws underneath. Feel around, you'll find them.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote