View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #35
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Whoa whoa whoa.... No jabs were intended. I was just using what you said as a perfect example. Wasn't meant to attack any knowledge base or anything along those lines

I actually had the same train of thought when I started looking at them. I called myself crazy for even considering it (as did everyone else). It was only till I really did my homework that I started to see the truth from the common mis perceptions

Confused. Why is there a 5k risk? The rear springs were already replaced as was the compressor. This weekend, I am installing front springs (at 150 a spring) and rebuilding the compressor which will run about 400 all said and done. So 700 out of pocket and I will have an essentially brand new suspension system that will be perfectly fine for 75-125k miles.

Just look on ebay or other vendors... anyone who pays 800 a spring is a moron : http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

It's not a daily. I also have an 99 C-Class. But I will be driving this a lot as it's awesome fun

It's pretty easy to tell if the car is sagging 6 inches lower than it should normally sit

Yes, there is a slight premium for the air suspension and, as a result, some guys swap over to coilover kits which aren't priced any higher than that set of konis you would put on the x3. The only difference is you would need mounting brackets for the coils which run around 40 bucks a corner. It's also more labor to install them of course but if you do it yourself, no biggie.

As for "not needing to care about your car before driving"... I drove what most would call a "very heavily modified vehicle" for years and am used to the notion of carefully driving, taking precautions, etc. Preventative maintenance is something everyone should do... we as a society have simply become so spoiled by the awesomeness of modern vehicles.. as a result, it doesn't even creep into our head to check tire pressure, fluids, etc... And that's totally fine.

It's like the guy said, the question isn't is this a good car for you... it's are you a good owner for this car. If you want something that you simply can get in and go, buy a honda or toyota. Why you have an X3 is beyond me if reliability is your #1 priority.
yes obviously, there are misconceptions and misinformation.
no doubt about that and same probably applies to the preowned 996 market with IMS and RMS issues. but the thing is, is it worth the risk. it is true, that for example 99% of 996s wont have a blown motor. but what if you hit the 'anti-lottery'? then its 1 shot, $10000-15000 out of pocket.
imo, the same applies with air suspension... yeah the concept is really cool, but good things also come with negatives. you claim that you can hedge out the negatives by being attentive and do preventative maintenance to increase the reliability and the durability of the air suspension sysetm. so then whats up with all these people on mbforum with e55amgs having 1 blown shock and end up with a multi-thousand dollar bill from the dealer for a single shock? are they the kind of goons that accepts reliability by default/standard and were never aware that their air suspension is on the out way?

yeah it is true that i picked an x3 and its not honda reliable, but i test drove the lexus RX and acura MDX, driving them makes me want to kill myself. and since i've owned e46s and i have a z4 which is basically an e90. i have experience in those cars so i know what to expect from an x3 (its basically an e46)