View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #50
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
You're missing the forest for the tree.

Any NLF benchwarmer (or rookie) will make more than any benchwarmer doctor (or intern).
Yet, Asians strive to be doctors, not NFL players. Why?
Because they know they will succeed in medicine, if they survive the internship. It's time proven and a safe bet.
They also know that they will not survive the NFL rookie season, if they even make it that far. Have you ever seen an Asian in NLF (no I don't consider Hawaiians Asians).

The point is to show that it's not just practice makes perfect.
No matter how much they practice football, they won't make it. Get it?
Well, there are actually a few Asian American football players at the college level. The reason why you see so few is a cultural thing. Asian American parents are more likely to stress academic achievement than sports achievement. As you get more Americanized Asian Americans, you'll start to see more Asians in football, perhaps even at the NFL level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
That is also something to remember in all this. Not every person raising a child has the characteristics to raise them in this manner, nor do they believe it is in the child's best interest. So, it is a live and let live situation. It works for her. Great. But, that doesn;t mean it is the right model for everybody or that one model is better than another.
If you define success with measurable components, you can say one method of parenting is more successful than the other if there are statistically significant differences (adjusted for various other measurable factors). I'm not saying study 5 hours a day, practice piano for 3 hours a day and never make any friends or do anything outside of your parents' wishes, but there is a definite need to stress more academic achievement.

Quote:
This is the question. We hear all the time about how the US is falling behind in education and how so many people don't want to work and just want things handed to them and how all this laissez faire parenting is "bad". Yet, this is not a "bleeped up situation". So which is it. If people are "relatively satisfied with their situation and community" than is their anything wrong with the "western" parenting that has been going on. Are these Chinese mothers really superior? Perhaps not.
All of the wealth we see today was built by previous generations. If we want to coast on those achievements, so be it. But I want the United States to remain the most dynamic economy in the world. To do that, we'll need to take a leaf out of the "Chinese parent's" playbook.

Quote:
We disagree. Children are not "blank slates". If they were, then they would be only that of which they are programmed, and yet they are not. At least in most cases. If they were blank slates, we would not have the vast number of religions, philosophies, musical and artistic styles, and the list goes on. People have different abilities and talents. Those often are innate. I can see a 2d problem in 3d. I don't try to. I wasn't trained to. I just do. It is how my brain and my brain chemistry process certain types of information. That does not fall into the "blank slate" model. And the same is true for many people and what are often refferred to as natural talents, gifts, affinities, etc.
Perhaps it's because people and civilizations grew up in different parts of the world. The more isolated a person is from another, the more likely they'll turn out to be different. The same can be said of societies. I don't think there are many things that are innate to the individual (encoded in their genetics) that can't be overriden by external influences. The language that you speak, for example, will influence how you think.

Quote:
Is it really far better. What, for lack of a better word, qualifies these parents to make the "right decisions" better than some peer or stranger?
Because their children are made up of their DNA. They should be the ones closest to their children and the ones most capable of looking out for their best interests. Is this always the case? No. But it's the standard case.

Quote:
But, that doesn't hold up. Did Gladwell fail to mention that Bill Gates bought DOS from somebody else, and didn't actually write the code himself. So his 10,000 hours in front of a computer didn't really have much to do with that success, now did it.
There are a few themes to his book. You touched on the 10k hour rule, but that doesn't apply to business. To become a master at doing one particular task, it might take 10,000 hours of practice to do so. But to succeed in business is a combination of luck, circumstance, ability, etc. These factors are outside of a person's control. That's another theme of the book. That no man makes it on their own. That outside influences are critical to help people reach their innate potential.

Quote:
If it was "all about nurture", why is the avg IQ 100. Given the strictly nurture view, one could systematically raise another person's IQ from 100 to 180 given enough nurture. Not likely to happen. Brain chemistry, how neurons fire, what is the resistance along sodium and calcium pathways in the brain is just as likely if not more likely to determine how someone's brain will operate than how many flash cards they are shown.
I actually do believe that intelligence can be taught. The way we measure intelligence now is an extremely crude representation of the capability of the human brain. But I do believe intelligence can be taught and we can even increase the average IQ score if there was a systematic approach to teach intelligence to people when they're young.

Quote:
And hey, that is great. Works for you. Awesome. Want to raise your kids and measure them by that. Go for it. More power to ya. But, that is your particular view. Other people have other views of success, and theirs are equally as valid as yours. That is the point.
Most people have my view of success. But they don't share my view on parenting. There's the difference. Most people want their children to go to excellent colleges, have high paying, meaningful jobs, and see their children succeed financially. They don't, for whatever reason, want to nurture their children in a way that maximizes the chance that their children can achieve success.

Quote:
If this parenting is raising people who are relatively satisfied with their situation and community, what is wrong with that future.
There is nothing wrong with that future. But I believe a better future can be achieved. A more educated society is a more productive society.

Quote:
It is the point. I am greatly concerned that so many people do care about their "good reputation". Being so concerned with what other people think. If there is a "problem", that is it. People are not willing to say "f**k off". This is who I am, this is what i am. You don't like. Mom & Dad don't like it. So&so don't like it. Ask me if I give a sh!t. It is my life and I will live it how I wish. If I f**k it up, that is on me. But, it will be my call because its my life. Accept me for who I am or don't. Either way is OK by me. But, I am not going to be anything else than who I am and who I choose to be. Like it or not.
No man is an island. We need other people to get the things that we want and desire. That also means we need to consider how we are viewed within society.