View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #70
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
But they are. The extremely controversial title was created by a WSJ editor without her input. The excerpt itself, taken out of context of the entire book, is extremely polarizing without proper context. If you read the book (got it today, plan on reading it over the weekend), she actually retreats quite a bit from the parenting style that you read in the article.
But, before you read her book, based on the article you said
Quote:
Look, I'm not saying she's the perfect parent. Far from it. But her style of parenting is much better than what the average American parent is doing.
and
Quote:
They practice 3 hours of piano a day, have straight As, and their mother raised them to be polite and respectful of their elders. That seems to be symptoms of hardworking, knowledgeable, and thoughtful people.
and
Quote:
Chinese parenting would be so much more effective.
and
Quote:
Wanting somebody talented is symptomatic through her desire to force her kids to practice piano for 3 hours a day. She's writing about her actions. Her motivations are very clear. Again, perhaps you should reread the article:
So now all of a sudden she is retreating from the parenting style in the article, the style you are in favor of. It seems she is not alone in retreating from that style. You really are following her example, aren't you.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Last edited by rdsesq; 01-15-2011 at 01:31 PM.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote