View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #32
loginfailed

My Ride: My buddies 350hp
Woot! I had a long weekend off from work (Friday - Tuesday) and finally got around to something I've been wanting to do for a while now..

When i bought the car, it only came with one key. I've been worried that I would lose my only key so I stopped by the BMW dealer on Friday to order a new key.

While I was there, I thought "Hey! I may as well order 2 keys so I could use one to do a remote start!". So now that the keys were on the way, I went to my buddy at Car Toys to see what alarms he could get.

I wanted the longest range possible because I park pretty far from the building at work. I ended up going with a Viper 5901.

Full details:
http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=5702V

I also picked up a Directed Electronics 556UW for the EWS bypass.

Over the weekend I slowly worked on the install. I installed for 10 years previously, but I've been out of the game for a few years so I just took my time.

I did the entire install using solder and 3M "Super 33" tape. Soldering all connections (versus crimp connectors) ensures the most reliable and trouble free operation over the long haul.

My keys arrived at the BMW dealer on Monday and after picking the keys up, I was finally able to fully test it and button everything up.

I didn't take any pictures along the way, SORRY! There are several write ups on alarm installs already anyway.

I hooked up 3 external outputs. #1 is a pulse for rear hatch glass release, #2 opens the windows and sunroof, #3 closes the windows & sunroof.

I've been using the system for 2 days now and I'm really satisfied with it. The range on the remote is great. I think later I will add the Viper "Smart Start" module so I can control the unit from my iPhone.

I've read reports on various forums that BMWs do not mix well with remote starts. I am here to say that those statements are false. When correctly installed, everything works as designed.