View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
feddomw

My Ride: 325xi Touring
Just checked. No clicking, just like Tom.

I will explain as best I can, and I think I discovered something

I am more and more convinced that this problem (in my case) is connected to the "shudder" I feel sometimes as described before.

I can reproduce it easily: right at the point the clutch engages, I can feel the driveline has a shudder. Obviously I can only feel this from a standstill start. Going very slowly, just letting the clutch engage without using the acceleration pedal, steering wheel straight, shudder until rolling and clutch fully engaged.

It's obviously something which has "play" that is causing the shudder and is only felt under load, i.e. a standstill start as the car has to overcome inertia.

I think this is the same when driving backwards and is aggravated with the steering wheel turned, as the inertia which has to be overcome is much greater with the wheels turned. I don't think I noticed it before because generally you dive straight forward, and turning backwards if you get what I mean. I never if ever drive forward with the steering wheel turned.

The shudder is less pronounced when driving backwards straight, but maybe because the reverse gear is a much lighter gear than first gear, thus easier to overcome inertia?

Transmission guys have not called me back yet, which is disappointing. I will have to call them and drive by again, but it's not exactly around the corner....
feddomw is offline   Reply With Quote