View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
aurelius

My Ride: ZHP Sedan + 2 E30s
determining which alt you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girmis View Post
I got this question:
Saw that you pulled your alternator. Is there any way to tell from the top if it's a Bosch or Valeo?

The answer:
Yes, you can, but you will need a mirror and a light. There is a sticker on the black plastic back plate (you can see that in the first picture - it looks like some bar code). It is faint on my alternator, but it is readable. I would suggest removing air filter housing (easy - 2 10mm bolts). You might be able to see even without taking it out, but it will be very very hard to get down to alternator ....
I'm having voltage issues in my 6/03 ZHP. After reading this thread and another (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=792768), I figure the likely culprit is the VR.

In terms of preparation, I wanted to know which alternator I have so that I can buy the correct VR, without removing either one. I used a telescoping mirror and shot the following photo of the sticker on the back of the alternator (VR cover?). The only thing I removed is the air filter box.

Ran a search on the number in the bottom of the pic (0124515105) and it turns out that's the Bosch part number for the 120A alternator.

Note to those who like me who cannot see this label without a mirror: I shot the pic on iPhone, flash off, then used Preview on a Mac (not iPhoto) to make a mirror image of the photo so that I could read the numbers more easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_VR.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	394060  
aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote