View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #28
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemwe_03i View Post
I got couple of rust spots (< than 1mm) from rock chips in the a pillar, will cleaning these the applying paint over it solve the problem?
Also when i wash my car i apply a coat of spray on wax does this do anything good? Usually in the areas where its in contact with water.
Here is a quote from the above linked website that outlines the inportance of surface prep better than I did:

"Surface preparation is the essential first stage treatment of a substrate before the application of any coating. The performance of a coating is significantly influenced by its ability to adhere properly to the substrate material. It is generally well established that correct surface preparation is the most important factor affecting the total success of surface treatment. The presence of even small amounts of surface contaminants, oil, grease, oxides etc. can physically impair and reduce coating adhesion to the substrate. (reference)

Chemical contaminants that are not readily visible, such as chlorides and sulfates, attract moisture through coating systems resulting in premature failure. In summary, the importance of a chemically clean substrate to provide the best possible contact surface for the applied coating cannot be over-emphasized."

More:

Edit: Maybe I should just prove the link: http://events.nace.org/library/corro...el-surface.asp

Last edited by Jmanscotch; 03-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Jmanscotch is offline   Reply With Quote