View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Unplug the offending lamp assembly and look inside the connector for burnt pins.

ON THE VEHICLE SIDE
Look _behind_ the connector where the wires go into it and identify the position of the BRN wire. Look inside the pin-side of the connector to see if the pin of the BRN wire is burned.

ON THE LAMP HOUSING SIDE
Look inside the pin-side of the connector to see if the mate to the pin of the BRN wire is burned, then look on the lamp assembly side of the connector to see if the trace is burned.

If you are any good at splicing wires, you can wire around the burned portion of the connector. If you are not any good at splicing wires, then you will need somebody that is. This is a common issue, and is easily repaired.

BRN = Brown, and is the ground wire for the entire car -- in this instance it is the ground for the lamp housing, but all ground wires on yoru car are BRN. You need to identify the ground path on the back of the lamp housing and connect a wire that you can bring past the burnt contact and splice back into the BRN wire on the vehicle harness. Alternatively -- and perhaps a better option -- is to bring the new ground made from a heavier guage wire out to a metal post and attach a new ground point so the BRN wire is not overloaded again.
ANOTHER SYMPTOM OF A BURNED GROUND WIRE
If you have a Fast Flash of the turn signals on one side, check for the burned wire as I described earlier.

My kid's car would fast-flash the Right Side Turn Signal for three or four blinks, then flash normally. If she used the blinkers again soon, then the flash owuld be normal, but if the blinkers were not called into operation for an extended period, then they would flash fast again for a few blinks then go to normal speed. I did not discover the burned ground until the rear tail light stopped working entirely. She put in new bulbs, swapped bulbs that worked on the other side of the car and they didn't work either. The pin of the BRN wire was burned. I touched it with a screwdriver, and it fell off. I took that as a clue...
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote