View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #99
rbryantaz

My Ride: '01 330i
I replaced the housing gasket on my newly acquired 2001 330i that had 117k miles on it.

I told the previous owner that it had an oil leak and he said that it was actually a PS leak that was already fixed. Either it also had a PS leak or his mechanic doesn't know the difference between engine oil and power steering fluid because it was definitely my leak...

I was able to do it all without removing the fan (it is an automatic car so the mechanical fan is a pain to remove). If you remove the fan it is probably a good idea to change the thermostat and possibly the water pump while it is off. And of course check your belt and replace it if needed.

TIP:

Remember to buy both the new housing gasket and new Vanos line crush washers. I forgot the crush washers so in a pinch I reused my old ones (but I plan on replacing them in a week or two when I do the Vanos seal repair).

In a pinch if you forgot to get new crush washers like I did AND you have copper crush washers you can heat them with a propane torch until they start to change color and then pour water on them to quickly cool/quench them. This will re-anneal them so that they will be soft enough to reuse.

I still recommend getting new washers but re-annealing copper washers can work if you forget.

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 03-16-2011 at 09:09 PM.
rbryantaz is offline   Reply With Quote