View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by malina View Post
Good luck with the project and respect for undertaking it understanding the risk of failure and overall cost
Subscribed.
My main objective is doing it myself for this years project. Doing this many times over I know a ballpark of overall costs of turbocharging. But to me it is not about saving the dollars as it is about putting the whole thing together from scratch, yeah I could have gone through NickG or Active to boost my car but that would take my fun away.

On the BMWs it's not the Turbo kit that is hard to do but the tuning of the Fuel/Timing etc... Using the Siemens adaptive ECU it is quite fast which is a good thing because it can be used to the tune of some good wheel horsepower. Hell, you can turbo the car and use the stock injectors (obviously the car would be lean under the pressurized load), but then that would not make sense as you turbo it to make power and with stock injectors you can run lean, heat up the engine and blow things up. Which leads us to the need of tuning.

There are many ways to tune the MS43 for relatively little money yourself as long as you have an understanding of tuning and coding/hex/how an engine works(hakentt has shown this) but when it gets to the MS45 it has to be bench flashed, but some have even used the OBD plug to flash it. Tuning software is not cheap and geared towards the Tuning shops which costs in excess of $5000+.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote